The St. John’s Farmers’ Market Cooperative (which operates the St. John’s Farmers’ Market and manages the St. John’s Community Market facility) is hiring! Now is the chance to join a dynamic team and have a hand in running one of St. John’s favourite places.
Open positions and contracts:
St. John’s Farmers’ Market (SJFM) Cooperative, St. John’s, NL
The SJFM cooperative is currently seeking a full-time Market Manager. Reporting to the SJFM Executive Director, the Market Manager is key to the ongoing success of the St. John’s Farmers’ Market, and will be responsible for managing the week-to-week planning and operation of Market days.
Since its beginnings in 2008, the St. John’s Farmers’ Market has grown to become a cornerstone of the cultural and food community, facilitating access to fresh local produce, diverse food, and artisanal crafts. Not only does the Market provide a place for the community to come together to access all things local, it also serves as a business incubator, supporting smaller businesses as they grow.
Day-to-day duties will be wide-ranging but will include:
• Vendor selection, and market day bookings
• Working with Service NL to arrange food vendor approvals and ensuring food safety compliance
• Organizing the evaluation process of new market vendors
• Overseeing market setup and break down
• Collecting and reconciling vendor table fees and meticulous record keeping
• Awareness/enforcement of Market policy and dispute resolution
• Communicating information to vendors
• Participation in some Committee meetings
• Support and assist other events in the Community Space as needed.
• Other duties as required
To fill this challenging role, candidates should be able to meet the following qualifications:
• Experience working within a professional business capacity with a diverse population
• Well-developed professional communication skills
• Demonstrated commitment to working as a team
• Excellent time management and organizational skills
• Physical ability to set up and move tables/booths, and extended periods walking on market days
• Proficient with email, databases, and office technology
• Experience with counting and recording money transactions
• A valid driver’s license and ongoing access to a vehicle
• The willingness to work weekends, plus some additional flexibility in scheduling as needed
• Able to provide a Certificate of Conduct upon request.
While not mandatory, the following skills would be considered an asset:
• Previous experience in Market Management, Co-Operatives, or Trade Show organization
• An understanding of food safety/OHS requirements
• Experience working with a volunteer board
• Financial literacy and basic bookkeeping
• Conflict management skills
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week at $20.00 per hour.
Interested individuals should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Market Manager” in the subject line.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early. We are looking to hire as soon as possible and interviews will be ongoing until a suitable candidate is found. Final deadline to apply is October 23rd providing a candidate has not been selected by then.
The St. John’s Farmers’ Market embraces diversity, and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.