Events with alcohol

Information Regarding Events with Alcohol

For renters interested in having events that include alcohol
For more information, email

The St. John’s Farmers’ Market does not have a permanent liquor license. We are currently pursuing one but
that process is lengthy.

At the present time, renters who wish to have alcohol included in their event at the SJFM will need to:

– Request your rental at least two weeks in advance of the event date to allow the SJFM time to get
approval from the City of St. John’s. Where the SJFM runs out of a City-owned building, all events with
alcohol require city approval.

– Apply for Special Events Liquor License through the NLC ($200). A Special Events Liquor License can only be
applied for by a non-profit or registered charity. The information on this process may be found here:

– Have trained servers dispensing any alcohol. This is to restrict and monitor consumption of alcohol to ensure safety and limit liability. Ideally all servers should have a Serve Responsible certificate or equivalent. There can be no unrestricted service of alcohol, including BYOB events or open/unrestricted bar stations.

– Obtain a Host Liquor Liability policy through your preferred insurance agent. This policy must name the following parties as covered under this policy:

  • you, the renter
  • the St. John’s Farmers’ Market Co-op,
  • and the City of St. John’s

If you do not have access to an agent who can set this up for you, let us know and we can connect you with someone who can help.If you are not able to obtain these requirements, please talk with us. We will work with you to come up with a solution or alternatives.